In order to receive a Certificate of Occupancy for a new home, final inspections must be performed and the following documents must be finished. In the case of an addition, final inspections must be performed and passed.
- Engineering—surface grading and driveway (New Dwellings Only)
- Final Electrical
- Final Fire
- Final Plumbing
- Final well and/or septic inspection(s) (Call Health Department) - (New Dwellings Only)
- Final Building
Documentation Required for New Home
- As-built foundation location survey signed and sealed by a licensed engineer, showing lot lines, block and lot, actual house and driveway location, etc.
- Morris County Soil Conservation approval, required for subdivisions. Call 973-538-1557 for more information.
- Signed certification from Board of Health (for well and/or septic approval)
- Utility Department approval if home has public water and/or sewer service. Call 973-208-6145 for more information.
- Validated copy of the Certificate of Participation, a.k.a. Homeowner Warranty, required pursuant to N.J.A.C. 5:25-5.5, for any home built by a builder.
Affidavit for Subcontracted Work
In the case of a homeowner building his own home for his own occupancy and use, an affidavit stating he/she has subcontracted the work under his/her supervision for his personal occupancy. The affidavit is located on the inside cover, part A, of the CPA folder.