Wedding Ceremonies Officiant

Marriage Licenses

Prospective couples must apply for and receive a valid New Jersey Marriage License from the Registrar of Vital Statistics before a wedding ceremony can be performed.  Call our Registrar of Vital Statistics at 973-208-6120 for more information. Additional information can be found HERE


  • Township of Jefferson Mayor Eric Wilsusen - The Mayor performs weddings by appointment only. Call 973-208-6102 for more information. Dates and time must be scheduled in advance. The fee is $125.00 check only payable to the Township of Jefferson. No charge for active Military. 
  • Ministers and others - Ministers of every religion may marry individuals legally permitted to marry.

State Laws

There are no Justices of the Peace in New Jersey. The following officials may perform marriages in New Jersey:

  • Federal district court judges
  • Judge of a municipal court
  • Judge of a tax court
  • Judge of the Superior Court
  • Judges of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd District
  • Surrogate of any county, county clerk, any mayor or the deputy mayor when authorized by the mayor, or chairman of any township committee or village president of this State and ministers of every religion
  • The former County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court, or the former County District Court who has resigned in good standing
  • U.S. Magistrate

Internet Ministers

Internet Ministers may perform marriage ceremonies. It is recommended you check the website for the particular ministry to verify that their ministers are authorized to perform marriage ceremonies.

Visit the Township of Jefferson Vital Statistics page for more information