Why do I need a variance?

If an applicant is denied by the Zoning Officer for proposed construction, he or she must apply for a variance with the Board of Adjustment. Contact Stephanie McCormack at 973-208-6119. If an applicant knows in advance that they need a variance, he or she must apply for a building permit first, in order to be reviewed and denied by the Zoning Officer. Once the variance is issued and the Building Department receives a copy of the Resolution from the Board of Adjustment, the application for the permit may proceed, once the applicant provides complete building plans.

Show All Answers

1. How can I pay for my permit?
2. How can I register vacant and abandoned properties?
3. Who do I contact for Zoning?
4. Who do I contact for septic systems and wells?
5. How can I submit a complaint about my property?
6. What do I need to get inspected to sell my home?
7. How do I schedule an inspection?
8. How do I get a permit approved?
9. How much are general permits?
10. Why do I need a variance?
11. What do I do if I fail my inspection?
12. What are the time constraints on my permit?
13. How do I obtain a Certificate of Occupancy and Certificate of Approval?